Geriatrics is a branch of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses typically affecting elderly people—especially those over sixty. Old age is characterized by the development of neurological illnesses, like Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, as well as various conditions caused by metabolic disorders, including arteriosclerosis, osteoporosis, joint degeneration, hypercholesterolemia, or type 2 diabetes. This means that elderly people often require multi-disciplinary care.
Moreover, because of the multitude of conditions affecting the elderly, many patients need to take multiple medications. It is thus very important that elderly patients are under the care of a specialist who knows how to combine different medications to make the treatment as effective as possible, and with side effects and patient’s discomfort reduced to a minimum.
Apart from comprehensive medical care, geriatricians at Top Medical Clinic will also help alleviate problems related to the elder person’s mental health—they will always hear the patient out and never ignore any worries the person may have. Thanks to the professional geriatric care of our specialist, your autumn years can become the second youth.
The scope of service:
- comprehensive geriatric assessment
- assessment of mobility problems and reasons of downfalls in elderly people ( +70)
- prophylaxis of downfalls (instructing how to prevent oneself from falling down in the household environment)
- lifestyle health advice for seniors (healthy eating and physical activity)
- recommending adequate screening tests and vaccines
- diagnosing dementia
- review and management of medications
- the analysis of atypical course of illness
- the treatment of osteoporosis
- pre-surgery assessment